As a Diamond Bourse of Canada member, you are welcome to test stones using the equipment in our gemmological technology facility. Two great and easy to use instruments for testing for Synthetics and Color Treatments are the DTC Diamond Sure™ and the HRD D-Screen.
DTC Diamond Sure™
Well-conceived and highly effective synthetic diamond detection instrument, developed by the Diamond Trading Company (DTC) in London. The Diamond Sure™ does the initial screening, based on research with hundreds of thousands of samples, and can distinguish between natural diamonds and synthetic ones or simulates. The device is easy to use, and gives sharp results:
- A diamond will either pass the test or be recommended for further examination
DTC Diamond Sure™ (above)
- A Compact Practical, and Affordable Test for Synthetic and Color Treated Diamonds
- Operation is really simple: Turn the instrument on and watch it perform its self-check.
- Then simply place a polished diamond over the sensor, close the cover, and in a few seconds the D-Screen gives its reading.
- Green means the diamond can definitely be considered natural and not colour enhanced
- Yellow indicates that the stone should be sent to a gem lab for more elaborate testing
- Stones can be tested almost as fast as you can place them into the unit
- To save power the unit shuts itself off automatically after five minutes
The HRD D-Screen (above)